So my brother and sister in law recently gave me an AMAZING gift, a gift certificate to Kiva! I don't know that I can put into words just how incredible this program is!!! As an entrepreneur myself I am so excited to find an organization to be able to reach out to and help people pursue the same dream of becoming entrepreneurs. Kiva's mission is to connect people, through lending, for the sake of alleviating poverty. Kiva empowers individuals to lend to an entrepreneur across the globe. By combining microfinance with the internet, Kiva is creating a global community of people connected through lending.
Kiva was born of the following beliefs:
- People are by nature generous, and will help others if given the opportunity to do so in a transparent, accountable way.
- The poor are highly motivated and can be very successful when given an opportunity.
- By connecting people we can create relationships beyond financial transactions, and build a global community expressing support and encouragement of one another.
- Dignity: Kiva encourages partnership relationships as opposed to benefactor relationships. Partnership relationships are characterized by mutual dignity and respect.
- Accountability: Loans encourage more accountability than donations where repayment is not expected.
- Transparency: The Kiva website is an open platform where communication can flow freely around the world.
As of November 2009, Kiva has facilitated over $100 million in loans. I encourage you to visit the site and learn more about this program and become a part of it by donating. http://www.kiva.org/ Brett and Jenni – Thank You for being the wonderfully giving, loving and compassionate people that you are. You are such a blessing in my life and so many others.
After doing our first loan with them I received an update via YouTube on the Entrepreneur we helped.
Powered by Facebook Comments